Thursday, December 21, 2006

New Features in the JSP 2.0

I dunno where I've been, since this is an ancient artifact from the Jurassic era.
Since my current project is a surgeon on a JSP/Servlet from some time around year 2000 code, I stumbled upon this page...

Six Cool New JSP and Servlet Features at OnJava.com.

  1. Servlets as Welcome Files
  2. Mapping Filters to RequestDispatchers
  3. Using Listeners with Servlet Requests
  4. Using EL Code Within Template Text
  5. Writing Tag Files (in JSP!)
  6. Writing EL-Qualified Functions

Though it's been around since 2004, I think those features are still cool! Two years ago I'm exploring custom tags using Java codes, but now the custom tags can be JSPs too!!

Today's people always talking about Freemarker, Velocity and many other cool template engine. But I still love JSPs, which is easier to debug, though some people could abuse, yet, I still have the confindence that people indeed can write good and maintainable JSP code.

I began rewriting some of the code, and using the EL expression 1.0. It needs a lot of rework for this old and hard to maintain JSP codes, but I think the effort will be worthed it!

I've just hoping that we'll be moving to Tomcat 5.5 on JDK 5, but I'm just happy to find out these features work just fine in Tomcat 5.0 (RI for JSP 2.0!) which we are using on JDK 1.4.2.

The new feature I will surely use is the new JSP tag definition! After the tag components has been matured you can begin writing the corresponding Java classes, but for experiments, creations of new ones and debugging, better use the JSP version!
Now I've got a complete prototyping scripting tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment