Saturday, August 18, 2007

No TELNET Client in Vista!?

Changing job always needs adjustments.
One of the most annoying thing is that you have to backup all your data, return your notebook to the office, and move the data to your new notebook. I moved to my personal notebook, cos starting from now I will be working on office's PC.
For me, I had an additional tasks, as I have to buy a new notebook. Making backup of all your data you have accumulated for more,than 1 year itself quite a tricky stuff. I have settled on the XP Professional, have a virtualized OpenSolaris 11 (Nevada) and CentOS 5, WebLogic 8.1 and WebLogic 9.2 installations along with the domains, and tons of codes personal stuffs to move.
My choice eventually fell on dual core Turion64 based Fujitsu lifebook. Large clear screen, economic, no camera, but I like it. Fujitsu also invented smart battery management and shock prevention software for hard drives.
One of the thing, is that latest computers only offer Vista. Mine is bundled with Vista Home Premium. It is much like changing platform from Linux to OpenSolaris. Lots of homeworks to do before you could run it so well.
Last week when I tried to work on with Tomcat, but my browser don't show anything. I need to check whether Tomcat service is available on the default port 8080. Then suddenly I found out that THERE IS NO TELNET CLIENT in Windows Vista! I checked the PATH variable, seems to be okay.
Then I googled around, and found out that TELNET client is disabled by default on Windows Vista!
You need to set it up like this, go to Control Panel:
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Telnet client
Turn it on.
Amazingly, it took more than 10 minutes just to enable TELNET client! I got no idea why it took so long to enable such a simple trivial client application.
Later on I found out the reason why Tomcat not yet listening to port 8080. Vista blocked the port and asking for permission to listen to that port. This happens only the first time you run your Tomcat instance. If you enable client access feature, you need to reply to this kind of quite-annoying-prompts. Anyway I must be getting used to it.
Voila, Tomcat works again.

No comments:

Post a Comment